Microsoft's first listed "Top Knowledgebase Article" on technet

Richard L. Proctor plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:32:32 -0700

> Let's face it, Linux isn't for everyone. There have been several times
> when I am tempted to write that a particular person should be running
> Windows and not Linux. The administrator that knows nothing, wants to
> know nothing is better suited to use Windows. It' installs everything b=
> default and starts it all automatically. With Linux, it's hard to fake
> the fact that you don't know what you are doing...like the guy who wrot=
> this morning using linux 6.2 and wanting step by step instructions on
> setting up a mail server.
>
> Craig

Believe it of not,  I have people that call me all the time that are tota=
lly=20
lost in windows.  They have no idea how any of it works.  It get's even=20
better when the computer contracts a virus and they have no clue as to ho=
w to=20
remove it.

There are savy people in windows just as there are in linux,  however the=
re=20
are also just as many if not more that have no clue how any of this stuff=
=20
works.

I have several people that know little or nothing about computers that I =
put=20
on SuSE Linux.  They have little or no questions because everything that =
they=20
need or use is already a part of linux,  ie,  Oppenoffice, kmail, knoq,=20
mozilla,  games, and the list just goes on.

I just did a job last week for a company that got a virus.  They were sup=
rised=20
that their windows 98 said they were using illegal copies of the software=
=20
(even though they had valid copies for each machine) and their machines w=
ould=20
no longer boot,  and everything was wiped.

--=20
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services
PC Repairs & Upgrades