Philosophical Question (GnuCash)

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Feb 2003 10:02:03 -0700

So true - but the explanation of what a debit and a credit is is pretty
straightforward.

A debit is a positive addition to an account.  A positive addition to an
account that normally carries a positive balance, like cash on hand or
accounts receivable, increases the positive balance.  You can debit
(i.e. add a positive amount) to an account that normally carries a
negative balance, like accounts receivable, and reduce the negative
balance.

A credit is a negative addition (i.e. subtraction) from an account.  A
credit to a liability account (one that carries a negative balance)
increases the liability,  A credit to an asset account, like cash on
hand, reduces the balance of the asset account.

Simplified Accounting 101

Assets = Liabilities + Equity

Assets are debit (positive) balance accounts,
Liabilities and Equity are credit (negative) balance accounts.

Adding a debit (positive) to a debit balance account increases the
balance in the account.
Adding a debit (positive to a credit balance account decreases the
balance in the account.
Adding a credit (negative) to a debit balance account decreases the
balance in the account.
Adding a credit (negative to a credit balance account increases the
balance in the account.