Philosophical Question (GnuCash)

Liberty Young plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Feb 2003 09:50:20 -0700

Two of the biggest mental obstacles to understanding double entry
accounting are the words
credit
debit

Many of us in my accounting 101 class had a hard time coming to grips
with that. Credits don't mean you put money in, debits don't mean you
took money out.
A lot of the students had a hard time understanding that a debit of a
cash account could mean  putting money into a cash account.

Jim's explanation is good, but it glosses over the use of the words
credit and debit, which trips up many of us who are accounting and the
use of double entry accounting.