hauppauge winTV card

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:26:30 -0500

Austin Godber wrote:

> Bill Warner wrote:
> > Anyone useing one of these?  I have been trying to get mine to work and
> > have it mostly working.  The only trouble I am haveing is that the sound
> > while able to read form /dev/dsp2 and send to /dev/dsp with the sox
> > command I can't get it to work with xawtv.
> >
> > The only way I have been able to get the sound to work is by useing the
> > cd-in wire from the tv card to the sound card.  This works but it is
> > extreamely low, I have to turn down all other mixer lines to about 10%
> > and crank the cd line up to max in order for the sound to be about
> > right.
> >
> > This also deesn't seem to let me record stuff useing xawtv to an avi or
> > raw video file with sound.  This means I cant get things like freevo to
> > work right.
> >
> > any help would be, well, helpfull.
>
> I have one of these too.  I have successfully used XawTV, Zapping and
> mplayer to watch TV.  I have my audio passing through a CD cable too but
> into my AUX plug on the SoundBlaster Live board.  I don't have a volume
> problem and I have not tried recording at all either.
>
> I have just gotten this and have not really gotten it working fully.
> For instance, how would I connect a VCR or DVD player to it?  I have
> tried using a coax and viewing on channel 4 like I did on TV and I have
> also tried the Svideo input (well, with an RCA to SVIDEO adapter).  I
> can't seem to get any real picture.  I know to set the standard to NTSC,
> but beyond that I am confused.  Actually, I am not sure what docs to
> look at, the v4l docs?
>
> Austin

My old setup:

CABLE -- VCR -->(coax)------->| WinTV
         DVD ==>(3/8" plug)-->|

On the old set up, I had to customize the config file to switch over to
the composite input (see last two entries):
=== ~/.xawtv ===
[global]
ratio = 4:3
freqtab = us-cable
pixsize = 128 x 96
pixcols = 1
jpeg-quality = 75
keypad-ntsc = no
keypad-partial = yes
osd = yes

# [Station name]
# capture = overlay | grabdisplay | on | off
# input = Television | Composite1 | S-Video | ...
# norm = PAL | NTSC | SECAM | ...
# channel = #
# fine = # (-128..+127)
# key = keysym | modifier+keysym
# color = #
# bright = #
# hue = #
# contrast = #

[defaults]
norm = NTSC
input = Television
capture = over
color = 48%
bright = 49%
hue = 49%
contrast = 41%

[DVD Player]
input = Composite1

[2 - HBO]
channel = 2

New set up:
CABLE -- VCR -->(coax) | WinTV

Now I run everything using the VCR remote.

I have found that I can record movies, but I get horizontal black bands
whenever solid gun colors are displayed (red and green are worst).
Other than that, it works, but is not great.  I still use the VCR for
recording shows.

George
George