Anyone running Slakeware?

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 11:57:39 -0700

It's really not that bad. I've been working on a package retrieval system f=
or=20
slack for about a year. So I have hundreds of updated packages on my server=
=20
and using my package system, I just type
arcanum install <package>  and it grabs eveything I want and installs/upgra=
des=20
it. It works great for my business. arcanum.sh has the ability to update=20
everything through a cron job. I've also been adding service checks and=20
failover to it. It's much nicer than the original slack, but I may be the=20
only one to think so! With out open source, it never would have been a=20
thought. I also rewrote the installation scripts, instead of dialog it's a=
=20
text console, but it also adds the ability of keeping track of everything y=
ou=20
do, then copies it all to a floppy disk, so if a week later you've trashed=
=20
something, you pop the cd in, along with the floppy and it installs=20
everything exactley the way it was. It is so far working perfect on IDE=20
systems, but I've been having some problems on scsi systems because my only=
=20
scsi test system is a VMware scsi machine! Granted that's how I do all=20
mytesting. I also have i686 built packages for kde 3.1. If you're intereste=
d=20
in those, let me know, along with any language packs you want.

Of course, if I wasn't in Payson, or broadband was available, you could just
arcanum.sh install kde3.1

nathan

Am Freitag 31 Januar 2003 07:55 nachmittags/abends schrieb Dennis Kibbe:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 12:01 am, you wrote:
> > Now that there are a few of us talking, did you have a question about i=
t?
> > I've been patiently waiting!!
> >
> > nathan
> >
> > Am Mittwoch 29 Januar 2003 08:14 nachmittags/abends schrieb Dennis Kibb=
e:
> > > I'm curious to know if anyone on the list is running Slakeware.
> > >
> > > Dennis Kibbe
>
> Nathan, not yet. I'll planning to install it on my prime system this
> weekend (maybe even tonight) replacing Debian Woody. I'll gain KDE 3 :-)
> and lose APT
>
> :-(
>
> A test install on a spare drive went smoothly and left only sound & modem
> to configure by hand - same as when I installed Woody.
>
> One reason for switching besides KDE 3 (I know I can hack Woody to get it)
> is I feel I should learn to complie kernels and programs from source (and
> do other daring things:-)).  Up to now I've been dependent on binaries if=
> wanted something.
>
> I do wonder how much more trouble it will be to keep system updated since
> APT made that job child's play.
>
> Dennis Kibbe

=2D --=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov