SCSI was the culprit

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:33:47 -0400

Hans,
Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried the modprobe, and it hung the system!  I
think there may be something wrong with the initio card.  I got it out of my
wife's system (which I've since rebuilt) which was having horrible hang
problems.  I blamed those problems on Win98, but since I rebuilt it with
spare hardware, it's been tolerably stable!  Often it would hang when I tried
to use the scanner, which was the only SCSI device on it.  I knew the cable
was a bit flakey, but perhaps that flakiness also damaged the card.  Oh well,
SCSI cards aren't that expensive any more.

Vaughn