OpenBSD News

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:17:55 -0700 (MST)

Thomas Cameron said:
> I hate to say it, but it appears Theo shot himself in the foot.  The
> thread on /. is pretty informative
> (http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/03/04/23/1156238.shtml?tid=122&tid=98).
>
> Theo has a reputation as being a PITA to deal with.  I admire his
> technical capabilities.  I respect and support his willingness to speak
> out against something he opposes.  I have very little respect for the
> way he is dealing with the consequences of his actions.  He has the
> right to speak freely. People offended by his opinions have the right to
> show their displeasure. This is what appears to have happened.  He made
> his bed, now he doesn't want to lie in it.

Just to throw fuel on the fire.  One of the most profound statements I
ever heard about freedom was this line:

"Who said Freedom is free?  Freedom is rather expensive."

In fact, for many liberties much blood is shed.  I think in this case as
stated by Thomas, Theo exercised his Freedom.  He is now paying dearly for
it.

As to the state of OpenBSD.  It existed before any DARPA grant, I suspect
it will exist far after losing any DARPA grant.  That is I didn't hear
talk of OpenBSD dying before they got grant money, so I'm sure what has
changed that would make them die for not getting it.  I think we could say
OpenBSD would have gotten better with funding, but I dont think we can
correlate that it will dry up and die without it.

My two cents.

-Derek