Low level format

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:10:51 -0700 (MST)

Kyle,

You mention that the machine is 'disconnected'.  Does that mean that
during the entire process of partitioning, formating and OS installation
there are no network or telephone cables connected?

What OS are we talking about?  What kind of hardware?  It almost sounds
like a piece of software that you're installing has been compromised.  I
see this quite often during forensic examinations of digital evidence.
One common situation is that users download applications from the net and
burn them to CDR's w/o verifying MD5 checksums or some other type of
integrity verification.  The application is typically trojaned and does
various evil things after installation.

If you're just formatting and installing *nix, with no connectivity to
the machine and no other software is installed... you may have a physical
security problem.  :-)

Gary