Low level format

Jay plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:16:58 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kyle. Although anything is possible, chances are there is no "hidden
partition." The *much* more likely scenario is that your client's computer
is simply running software which is vulnerable to a remote attack. Thus,
after a clean install, the computer is back up and running in it's
previous state (with its previous software installed) and the "hackers"
just re-compromise the system again. I find this to be a surprisingly
common scenario.

To try and determine *how* the hackers are continually exploiting the
system, consider an external vulnerability assessment. Edgeos provides
this service for just $25. Simply visit Edgeos' web site
<http://www.edgeos.com> and place an order. It is a 100% remote and
automated service that will audit an IP (or entire network) for over 1500
vulnerabilities and threats. Within about two hours, you'll receive a
detailed report (both business impact and technical detail) about your
client's system's vulnerabilities. Bottom line, this can save you a ton of
time looking for a proverbial needle in the haystack.

About your question with 'dd', you could have it write zeros, or similar,
to the entire HDD. Although not using 'dd', this would do the trick (make
sure the target HDD is not mounted):

  cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdX  (where "hdX" is the drive to fill with zeros)

Hope that helps.

~Jay

--

== Jay Jacobson