OSS In the Office

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:51:52 -0700

Jim wrote:
> Your analysis is all too true, Austin.  But it also points out a
> business opportunity for a group who is willing to support open source
> installations.  They might need to do some marketing to get in the door,
> but they have a huge support base to draw on, which most proprietary
> vendors do not have.

I should make clear that the analysis was not mine.  I just thought that
it was probably true and wanted to get some opinions.  Riding my bike in
to school today I thought ... wait, doesn't a EULA remove this liability
for the software vendor?  So you have people buying commercial software
for the sole purpose of being able to place blame, while at the same
time all blame is being shed by the software company via the EULA.  I
imagine that sfotware vendors and companies pen other agreements, but is
there really any case for accountability?

Austin