Digital Signing (Beat The Dead Horse) was Re: Free Software form$

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:18:33 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Lee Einer so:

> I think that people should be free to use whatever software they choose.
> As far as I can see,  the only folks who have to worry about an Outlook
> user sending an infected e-mail to the group are Windows users without
> adequate virus protection.  If we advocate free software, as in freedom
> of speech, it is contradictory (and kind of funny) for us to try and
> force others to conform to our software preferences, don't you think?

As long as what they're using conforms to the standards. We should demand
open standards and formats. If software ( free or proprietary ) causes
problems with the standards or has specific security issues we could
consider blocking it until the problem is fixed.

The problems in this thread have been for the people using the software, not
the list and have been due to the clients not understanding features
described in RFCs, so it's their problem ;-). Seriously, though, if the
clients are munging the signed email, we need to get that fixed.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/