Installing Red Hat Advanced Server

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:38:59 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Simper, Brian D so:

> Red Hat Linux Advanced Server is indeed a commercial product and the
> cheapest license is (brace yourself) $800.00.  This does, admittedly,
> include support but this may move it beyond the realm of many small
> businesses and individuals.  I can't blame Red Hat for wanting to increase
> profits as challenging as it might be for us.
>
> Releasing source code is the legal tip of the hat to the Open Source
> license.  They are legally entitled to charge for the product, but the
> source code must also be made available.

Red Hat usually goes beyond the legally required tip of the hat. I don't
know about all of its products, but everything I've seen says it is very
relegious about releasing everything it does for its main distribution under
the GPL. I also found out last night that it has about 400 engineers working
to improve Free Software. Some of you have probably heard of Alan Cox :),
who's on Red Hat's payroll to do kernel stuff. It also has Fred Fish in
Cave Creek and our very own Kevin Buettner in Fountain Hills working on GDB
stuff.

Red Hat has also had a good presence at both of our InstallFest's due to
Curtis and Scott coming down from Flagstaff.

Doing all that for the community and making a profit. Red Hat does a good
job, even if I did nitpick on Scott and Curtis about some technical details
yesterday :).

ciao,

der.hans
--