Installing Red Hat Advanced Server

Simper, Brian D plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:09:27 -0700

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server is indeed a commercial product and the
cheapest license is (brace yourself) $800.00.  This does, admittedly,
include support but this may move it beyond the realm of many small
businesses and individuals.  I can't blame Red Hat for wanting to increase
profits as challenging as it might be for us.

Releasing source code is the legal tip of the hat to the Open Source
license.  They are legally entitled to charge for the product, but the
source code must also be made available.

However, there are some things you might try.  Advanced Server is based on
Red Hat Linux 7.2 so you might try installing the Oracle product over RHL
7.2 or RHL 7.3.  I have never installed any Oracle product so there is no
guarantee there.

In addition, Red Hat is expected to release a product called Advanced
Workstation which will have many of the features of Advanced Server but is
expected to cost much less.  It will still have *some* cost but it should be
much less than $800 which might make it more palatable for your
organization.  Advanced Workstation will include some support with it's
licensing.

-Brian
There is no way that I could or should be mistaken as a spokesman for
my employer.

> Greetings-
>
> I am new to PLUG and this list, and I'm hoping to get some help.
>
> I am interested in installing the Oracle Collaberation Suite on Linux.  It
> requires RH Advanced Server.  Unfortunately this isn't as simple as a
couple
> .ISO files.  I have downloaded what I understand to be RH Advanced Server
> from their FTP site.  I now understand that I have the "source code" and
I'm