Slapper Worm

slr plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:06:02 -0700

one of my co-lo'ed machines in texas was just infected by the variant
Slapper.c, which compiled a binary called .unlock and was residing in /tmp
and from my understanding is the only location the worm can write to because
it has world writable permissions. i am not familiar with that file name
upgrade-modssl, were you able to view the contents of the file? the .unlock
file small, and the worm isnt particularly maliscous to the file system. its
main objective is to create a peer-to-peer network of up to 16 million
machines and then forms an attack on its victim. the variant that i was
infected with uses port 4156 instead of port 2002. issue a netstat
--numeric-port and make sure nothing is running on this port also check out
this link, hope this helps some. i suffered an anxiety attack after i
discovered what was going on!

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/slapper.shtml

slr