Digital Signing

Shawn Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:18:04 -0700

Well I see there are at least 5 "standards" for automatically getting
keys, maybe more (http, ftp, email, ldap, and x-hkp).  If I set up gpg
to use keyserver http://wwwkeys.us.pgp.net, and look at one of Derek's
messages, mutt displays this:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Wed Sep 25 15:10:28 2002) --]
gpg: unable to execute program "gpgkeys_http": No such file or directory
gpg: Signature made Sun Sep  1 08:31:35 2002 MST using DSA key ID
F417FFCF
gpg: no handler for keyserver scheme "http"
[-- End of PGP output --]

gpgkeys is a program that refuses to run without X.  I'm guessing
gpgkeys_http would be a simple command-line client which returns
the result of a query to an http keyserver, but it doesn't seem to
exist on Debian.

If I set
keyserver x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
then when I open that message, it takes a while, then I get
[-- PGP output follows (current time: Wed Sep 25 15:13:30 2002) --]
gpg: Signature made Sun Sep  1 08:31:35 2002 MST using DSA key ID
F417FFCF
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
[-- End of PGP output --]

So I guess at least it's connecting to the MIT keyserver (right?) but not
finding Derek's key.  And this search

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=derek%40gnue.org

also finds nothing, whereas for Randy:
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=Kaelber&fingerprint=on

quite a few, but none for this latest ASU address.  So I guess you have
to get a new key for each email address that you use?

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org