MyBooks

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Sep 2002 06:13:56 -0700

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:03, Brian Cluff wrote:
> I just went to their website (www.appgen.com) to see what it was all
> about and found that you can download a 30 day trial of it.  I have it
> downloading as I type this.
> That would probably be the best thing for you to do, since a whole group
> of people might love a piece of software where you might hate it.
>
> Brian Cluff

----
Just a bit of feedback...

Downloaded & installed 30 day demo.

Seems like a nice program - not exactly like Quickbooks but it seems to
have it's strengths.

Importing Quickbooks files isn't one of them however.

You have to download the Windows version and import the Quickbooks file
in that one. Then use the menu option to export the resulting file out
again which is then imported into the linux version. OK - not a big deal
but it seemed a few unnecessary steps.

The resultant data was basically worthless...yes, the ledger accounts
were set up, so were the vendors and check numbers/amounts but the
ledger data / the checks etc were all labelled import and thus no
checkbook reports / totals per vendor were meaningless. There's no way
to evaluate the usefulness of the program by importing data from
Quickbooks.

If you were at year end and wanted to make the switchover from
Quickbooks to MyBooks to get the vendors/ledger accounts/, the
Quickbooks import feature would be awesome...but midyear -
forgetaboutit.

Craig