chkconfig vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd -- what does each do best?

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
16 Sep 2002 10:32:47 -0700

chkconfig automates what we used to do by hand.
When you are using chkconfig there is a line in shell file that tells
the config which run levels to start at and at what point in the run
level to start that looks like
# chkconfig: 345 85 15
I got the above out of httpd (apache) and it says to start apache at
runlevel 3,4,and 5 and to start it at level 85 in the boot sequence and
to shut it down at level 15 in the kill sequence.

When you run chkconfig httpd on it looks inside the statup file for that
line and then makes the proper soft links in /etc/rc3.d /etc/rc4.d and
/etc/rc5.d so that it will be started and killed at the proper point in
the boot/shutdown sequence.

To start and stop the server once the system is up and running you need
to either run the start script manually be it with the service command
or actually running the script itself, or changing run levels with
telinit (see man telinit for details).  You can also reboot or course,
but you loose that nice uptime.

Debian users look into update-rc.d for a little less automated version
of chkconfig.

Brian Cluff