chkconfig vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd -- what does each do best?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
16 Sep 2002 10:22:52 -0700

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 06:15, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I just ran "./chkconfig httpd on" from /sbin. I then tried
> > http://localhost/ and nada.
>
> 'chkconfig httpd on' only ensures that httpd will start at the current
> runlevel the next time you reboot (or switch runlevels).
>
> > If I were to use /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> > I would be able to see my index.html, or whatever topped the default list.
>
> 'chkconfig httpd on' doesnt start it for you.  '/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
> start' does.
>
> > What did running "chkconfig httpd on" do and how can I do what I want which is
> > actually start httpd and control whether or not it starts at boot?

-----
I don't think this is entirely accurate

chkconfig --add service (will identify services in /etc/rc.d/init.d)
chkconfig service on should actually start the service
chkconfig --level 2345 service on/off will have the service
start/stopped at the indicated runlevels
chkconfig --list service will tell you whether or not service is running
once chkconfig --add service has been run and service has been
identified, then you can start/stop/restart the service by using the
service command...
i.e. service httpd start
     service httpd restart
     service httpd stop

note that all of this requires and appropriate init file to be located
in /etc/rc.d/init.d and that you are running as root (or at least su -)

Craig