chkconfig vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd -- what does each do best?

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:48:12 -0700

On Monday 16 September 2002 06:15 am, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
> > Ok, so I just ran "./chkconfig httpd on" from /sbin. I then tried
> > http://localhost/ and nada.
>
> 'chkconfig httpd on' only ensures that httpd will start at the current
> runlevel the next time you reboot (or switch runlevels).

So now that I've run chkconfig httpd on and then running "chkconfig --list
httpd" and being told that levels 3-5:on are on, it will start on reboot?
Ok, here goes.