chkconfig vs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd -- what does each do best?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:15:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> Ok, so I just ran "./chkconfig httpd on" from /sbin. I then tried
> http://localhost/ and nada.

'chkconfig httpd on' only ensures that httpd will start at the current
runlevel the next time you reboot (or switch runlevels).

> If I were to use /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> I would be able to see my index.html, or whatever topped the default list.

'chkconfig httpd on' doesnt start it for you.  '/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
start' does.

> What did running "chkconfig httpd on" do and how can I do what I want which is
> actually start httpd and control whether or not it starts at boot?

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader