Apache Junction Schools a Linux Hotbed?

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 07:44:22 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tom Snell wrote:

> The subject of introducing Linux into Arizona schools has been a popular
> topic on the list lately, and I just recently came upon an item that
> came as a pleasant and altogether unexpected surprise.  I lived nine
> years in Apache Junction, and I recall during that time that A.J.
> schools were not too highly thought of by the Arizona education
> establishment (be that as it may, I always felt A.J. did a tremendous
> job investing in infrastructure, particularly in the K-8 level).

In conversations that I have had with individuals who should know AJ has
1600 (all of them)dual boot workstations. I was also told they don't try
to debug Win failures but overwrite an image stored on the Linux partition
if a machine dies.

> been happening since I left!  It might be interesting if Mr. Castelhano
> were approached to speak at a monthly meeting or the InstallFest, as I'm
> sure his real-world experience would be an invaluable asset in learning
> how to approach other school districts.
>
> Tom S.

The name Jerry Patterson was given to me as someone instrumental in
deploying these machines- I haven't researched enough to know what his
position is.

--
Patrick Fleming, EA
http://myhdvest.com/patrickfleming