Cybercafes in Phx...

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Sep 2002 21:44:16 -0700

--=-xH5IYcC52HxdKp8Q7Yky

> I've been after the owner of The Duck & Decanter at 16th St. and Camelbac=
k=20
> for some time to put in broadband.
>=20
> The Duck is a weekend hangout for the yuppie set and serves bag lunches t=
o=20
> the financial district during the week. I feel that they have the space a=
nd=20
> the right clientel (laptops and money) to make wireless work.
>=20
> I've suggested to hans & Bill Lindley that they come down some Sunday=20
> afternoon, met Earl, the owner, and make a proposal about setting up the=20
> system.
>=20
> Can anyone point to case studies that show that offering broadband can be=
=20
> profitable?

As much as I would love to see more places offer this, in general I
think the opposite is probably true.  Meaning that generally the 'seat'
is more valuable occupied by someone spending money than not.  Having
wireless encourages people to stay for longer, which actually can be a
BAD thing depending on the business.

I think only places getting money from beverages are really prone to
benefiting.  Example:  If its a 'meal' place.  I come in and order 10.00
meal and 2.00 drink.  Stay 30 minutes.  If its wireless maybe I stay 1.5
hours instead but only get an additional 2.00 drink.  The owner is
losing out on a potentional 12.00 sitting twice. (simplistic example)=20
Point being unless the environment is one where getting a customer to
STAY is more profitable than turning them quickly wireless, could cause
more harm than good. :(

If Duck & Decanter is more a 'bar' than a restaurant it might be a good
move.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise