PLUG website

Thoreau plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:52:47 -0700

Unfortunately, if you want a pre-fab system, there are none better than
PostNuke.  That, of course, doesn't mean that a CMS designed for news is
appropriate either.

As far as the servers at UnityWave, I know exactly what you mean.  That is
another reason I am in favor of the most lean code/system available, even if
it requires a small investment of time up front.  Unitywave doesn't have
resources to waste, thus I don't think we should waste them in the first
place.  Try loading PostNuke on a test server of your own, toss in some
content, then just load the main page.  Then check the mySQL logs to see
just how many queries it makes to the database.  I can give you a hint, 'too
many.'

As far as customizing postnuke, that is an area where I could be of minimal
assistance, as I do not know PHP or the PostNuke system as well as I would
like.

I have already written qutie a few CMS's for my own sites in the past, and
am currently writing one that covers every single requirement of PLUG, as
well as a bucket load more.  Only downside is that it is in ASP.  (That, and
I made my friend Josh do most of the work while I have been managing the
project and setting the requirements.)

If I were to invest the time in learning PHP that I need to do anyway, I
would do so in an effort to build something, not tweak something that
someone else built.  PostNuke is a good product for what it does,
unfortunately what it does is very specialized, and has simply been used for
unintended purposes by a large number of people, which gives the impression
of being the right choice for the wrong application.

Speaking of PostNuke, quite a few of the lead developers, as well as the
person who started the PostNuke project have recently left the team and
started back up on their own.  I wouldn't advise use of a product when it's
best developers have all left.  Who knows what will come of the system in
the coming months/years.

Adam Rader