Fry's $199 Linux box..

Richard L. Proctor plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:31:11 -0700

On Monday 02 September 2002 7:45 am, Rich Woods wrote:

> Let's face it - you know your name and info will be sold. Same with
> Cox and APS.
>
> However - a $65 60 GIG HD with a $30 rebate - and others - yeah I'll
> take it - I'll fill out the forms - they have my name and credit card
> info already. Name, rebate form and UPC seal to my PO box .
>
> I already get tons of junk e-mail - 95% of what I get I delete - right
> now I'd probably have a credit limit of $250,000 if I responded to all
> the "credit" card offers - and spend $500,000 on their "secured" cards
> - I'll use my Compass Bank card - damn - how much credit do I need?
>
> Of course what business are you in? If you can suppply me with the
> same prices I'll do business with you.
>
> I know there is a catch - but then I'll take the rebate and delete the
> junk e-mails.
>
> Hey - we're in a depression - every dollar counts.

Obviously by my signature i'm into pc repairs and upgrades. We also build new
custom systems and sell individual hardware.  Can I compete with fry's ?  Ah
that is an absolute no.  For one I don't deal refurbished items.  All those
returns that customers bring in are sold to big companies such as fry's
electronics.  They will buy a 100 vid cards at one snap and think nothing of
it.

No my business is more about customer service.  I consult with the customers
needs, setup the systems, do the installs, and guide the customer every step
of the way,  as well as deal with any defective items so the customer never
has to leave the house.

Seniors love it,  and as we like to point out,  if your refrigerator or
dishwasher goes bad,  you don't haul it to the store for repairs or attempt
to fix it yourself,  unless you know exactly what your doing.  So we go out
just like the maytag guy do it all.

Spend 500 or 600 on xp office or whatever and you might luck out with two free
phone consultations.  After that be ready to pull out your credit card and
pay the hourly fee's.  We try to avoid all this.

It boils down to great customer support or cheap products.  Seems like America
is willing to shell out the bucks and get nothing in return for it.

If your old enough to remember the 50's when Texaco use to have 4 guys on
hand.  When you pulled up to the gas pumps one pumped the gas, one got the
windows, another checked the tires and the 4th checked under the hood.  Now
you pay bigger prices and do it yourself.  lol

People accept this as normal customer support now.  sad!  :-(

--
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services