PLUG website

Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:02:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 01. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Victor Odhner so:

> My concept of the audience has been people who really don't know
> much about Linux, or who are fairly knowledgeable but just seeing
> it as one of many things they need to keep track of or learn
> about.

Knowledgeable people looking for local events can make it through a simple
interface to get to the more in-depth content.

Others need a non-scary interface that welcomes them in and points them at
introductory info.

> Now, there are lots of really busy Linux-oriented sites out
> there, and we could become one of them.  That would be a matter
> of someone's ambition to create a really notable site.
> I've been more oriented to serving the local constituency,
> those people who want to meet us and to find some help.

I think the local orientation is the way to go. We should choose a few other
places, e.g. the LDP, LinuxNewbie.org, and Linux.com, to point people at.
I'd prefer content that PLUG members might create be part of the
international efforts such as those.

> But I'd like to argue for the "front page" remaining a
> nice, simple and inviting greeting, with links to whatever
> exciting treats may lie beneath.  Blogs and archives
> are disorganized and incoherent by nature, and that's
> part of their charm.  I would like us to retain a
> nice, simple and friendly front end.

If we use something like PostNuke, it doesn't have to lay on top. We could
have a customized 'intro' that is simpler and more elegant. In fact, I think
PostNuke themes should allow for something like that.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans