tar does not like me

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:28:58 -0700

On Thursday, October 24, 2002 3:51 PM, George Gambill wrote:

> Questions:
> 1) Any ideas?

tar zxvf rdeskt~1.gz will untar/unzip the file for you

> 2) How can I see the real name of "rdeskt~1.gz without the "~" getting in
> the way?

Remount your floppy as a vfat filesystem instead of msdos:

umount /mnt/msdosfloppy
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/msdosfloppy

My /etc/fstab has a line like this:

/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	auto	noauto,owner,kudzu	0	0

The "auto" means that mount will (attempt to) determine the filesystem type
from the superblock of the device.  When I stick a floppy that was created
on my Win2K machine into the floppy drive of my stock RedHat Linux 7.3 box
and type "mount /mnt/floppy", it mounts the floppy on /mnt/floppy and
automatically determines that vfat is the filesystem type.  When I ls the
contents of the floppy, the full filenames are displayed.

> 3) can I tar from the GUI?

On my stock RedHat 7.3 system, I just found a program called "ark" that
appears to be a GUI front-end to tar.  Also, in Konqueror (I use KDE), right
clicking on a .tar.gz file gives me an Ark option and a Preview With Ark
option.

Hope that helps,

~Jeff