Mac OSX and Windows 2000 Active Directory

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:34:51 -0700

> > I recently obtained full-time employment and one of the tasks that I'm faced
> > with is getting Mac OSX to work with a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain.
> > OSX ships with Samba 2.2.3a, which I believe allows it to be able to work with
> > the older NT4 domains.
> >
> > The biggest problem I'm looking at right now is getting the Mac to automount
> > shares from the AD servers when the user logs in and quite possibly using the AD
> > servers to authenticate the user in the first place.  I know I can get normal
> > Windows Shares statically mounted via fstab entries, but don't know about Win2k
> > AD domains/shares.
> >
> > Anyone have pointers to any docs about doing this?
>
> I'll have to check how I configured things when I get back to work for my
> OSX users, but to mount the shares, I just had to open up a file sharing
> window and enter smb://someserver/someshare and it worked.  I can't
> remember if there was a check box to automount after login or not...  I'm
> assuming so, since I'd get complaints if they had to type their password
> everytime they accessed a new share.  Or maybe they just don't logout.
> Anyway, I'm rambling.  I'll look into it more tomorrow for you.

Thanks.  I would very much appreciate it.

So far I've been able to get the Mac to mount a share from a temp Win2k server,
but didn't spot an option for making them remounted during login (used Apples
GUI to mount them).  I'd prefer not to have to use fstab as that is a point of
weakness for security if the machine gets broken into (username and password in
plaintext) and it would always mount the shares as the same user.