Mac OSX and Windows 2000 Active Directory

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:34:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Kevin Brown wrote:

> I recently obtained full-time employment and one of the tasks that I'm faced
> with is getting Mac OSX to work with a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain.
> OSX ships with Samba 2.2.3a, which I believe allows it to be able to work with
> the older NT4 domains.
>
> The biggest problem I'm looking at right now is getting the Mac to automount
> shares from the AD servers when the user logs in and quite possibly using the AD
> servers to authenticate the user in the first place.  I know I can get normal
> Windows Shares statically mounted via fstab entries, but don't know about Win2k
> AD domains/shares.
>
> Anyone have pointers to any docs about doing this?

I'll have to check how I configured things when I get back to work for my
OSX users, but to mount the shares, I just had to open up a file sharing
window and enter smb://someserver/someshare and it worked.  I can't
remember if there was a check box to automount after login or not...  I'm
assuming so, since I'd get complaints if they had to type their password
everytime they accessed a new share.  Or maybe they just don't logout.
Anyway, I'm rambling.  I'll look into it more tomorrow for you.
~M