mounting a digital camera USB device

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:03:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Lynn David Newton wrote:

> Re: mounting a Sony Mavica CD1000 as a USB device:
>
>   Bill> Check your `dmesg` output and see what the
>   Bill> kernel reports when it detects the device.
>   Bill> There may be helpful information there.
>
> Hmmm, okay here's what I see:
>
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 4
> usb.c: USB disconnect on device 4
>
> Meanwhile, I discovered that maybe this would work, but
> it doesn't
>
> # mount -t usbfs /dev/sda /dc
> mount: fs type usbfs not supported by kernel
>
> Hmmm, hmmm. Looks like I need to compile something into
> the kernel??

	Mike Starke pointed out the important part in his post. It may be
a vfat/msdos partition. Try using -t vfat or -t msdos to mount. Barring
that, try it without a type argument and see what the automounter says
about it. If you need to add the new file system, you can add the file
system type as a module via your kernel configuration tools. The USB
modules introduce usbfs's as scsi devices, so you're on the right track
with your mounting style.

- billn