Java

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
13 Oct 2002 16:13:58 -0700

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 10:34, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > I just posted a tutorial on http://www.carlparrish.com you might want to
> > check it out. Yes I'm putting the site back up. Yes I know there are
> > problems (its not even an alpha version of the site yet). And yes I'm
> > sure there are *tons* of grammer / spelling problems but I *did* just
> > cover how to install SDK on RedHat so I thought Chris might want to
> > know.
> >
> > Carl P.
>
> Hi Carl,
> Just a few comments on your tutorial...
> You should probably change the first line to simply:
>
> rpm -q compat-libstdc++
>
> People running different RH versions will have different versions of
> compat-libstdc++ installed (or not installed) and they might get confused
> if they don't have the specific version that you list.  The following "rpm
> -i" command will also depend on which RH version they're running.

Thanks Matt good idea. I'll go ahead and change this.

> The JAVA_HOME variable is going to depend on which version of Java they
> download.  For example, you have j2sdk1.4.0_01 listed, but they could have
> downloaded j2re1.4.1.
Same thing

> The PATH variable you listed has square brackets in some places when it
> should have curly braces (actually, no braces are needed at all in this
> case).
Not sure why they'd be square brackets. I tend to use {} when giving
demos to get people used to using them correctly (though I know in this
case they aren't needed).

> To test the install, if they downloaded the jre, then they won't have a
> "javac", but instead just "java".
> Thanks,
> ~M

"java" *should* proably be the way to test however the tutorial isn't
for how to install the jre (though it would proably be stupid to have a
*separate* howto just for the JRE).

Thanks for the feedback. I should have two more howtos / tutorials up by
the end of the day. Please feel free to give me feed back on them as
well. (or just join the site and give it to me there).

Carl P.