Java

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

> I just posted a tutorial on http://www.carlparrish.com you might want to
> check it out. Yes I'm putting the site back up. Yes I know there are
> problems (its not even an alpha version of the site yet). And yes I'm
> sure there are *tons* of grammer / spelling problems but I *did* just
> cover how to install SDK on RedHat so I thought Chris might want to
> know.
>
> Carl P.

Hi Carl,
Just a few comments on your tutorial...
You should probably change the first line to simply:

rpm -q compat-libstdc++

People running different RH versions will have different versions of
compat-libstdc++ installed (or not installed) and they might get confused
if they don't have the specific version that you list.  The following "rpm
-i" command will also depend on which RH version they're running.

The JAVA_HOME variable is going to depend on which version of Java they
download.  For example, you have j2sdk1.4.0_01 listed, but they could have
downloaded j2re1.4.1.
The PATH variable you listed has square brackets in some places when it
should have curly braces (actually, no braces are needed at all in this
case).

To test the install, if they downloaded the jre, then they won't have a
"javac", but instead just "java".
Thanks,
~M