MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
10 Oct 2002 09:37:23 -0700

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 21:25, Scott H wrote:
> Let me see if I understand this right (pardon me
> if I'm dense on this, I'm a recovering MS Admin
> :) In this setup, you keep user accounts both on
> a NIS server and on the local machines?  And
> these match?  NT/W2K does something similar to
> this: NT4 and W2K boxes cache user credentials on
> the local machine after any successful domain
> login.  A user on our network ALWAYS
> authenticates to the domain, not to the local
> machine (except for certain troubleshooting, of
> course), so if a Domain Controller is
> unavailable, the user can still log on to their
> machine, with the cached domain credentials.

I think you pretty much got it at least as much as I
understand it.

> Bill, in this setup, then, the user wouldn't be
> able to log in with a regular user account if the
> NIS server was unavailable... right?

you are correct.  If the NIS server goes down you typically
would not be able to get logged in.  Although you can run
primary and backup NIS servers just like Primary and secondary
NT domain servers, and there would be no service interruption
unless they all went down.
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head.