MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

>From: Bill Warner <wwarner@direct-alliance.com>:
>I have been looking into this as well.  NIS
works >in a way that you can basically store half
your >passwd/shadow/group files on one central
server.

Half?  What do you mean "half"? I don't
understand that.

>Sort of an NFS for single files.

Please explain this a bit, too?  I know what NFS
is, but I don't understand how you mean this.

>I am still looking into LDAP as an option.  The
>only thing that I don't like about the Linux
>authentication options is the fact that unlike
>windows it typical applications don't maintain
>the authentication, ... every time you start
>a web browser you have to re-authenticate with
>any servers there.  It makes for a difficult use
>experience for the non techies.
>Bill W

Is this true for both NIS and LDAP?  Anyone know
a way around this?  (Other than configuring
various client software to store passwords?)  I
want my clients to be able to access shared
folders, pass through the proxy server, attach to
email, etc - ideally just logging on once to the
network.