See firewall, no internet

Brian Tafoya plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 23:04:55 -0700

--=====================_273502045==.ALT

Sounds like your new box has the DNS information hard coded instead of
picking it up from the DHCP server... you will need to either set the DNS
to your Smoothwall's IP, or set it to pick up the DNS info from the DHCP
server. What version of Linux is the new box running?

---
Brian Tafoya
http://briantafoya.com/
c:\windows, c:\windows\run, c:\windows\crash!

At 01:35 AM 10/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I brought a Linux box from elsewhere to my house here.  It is all set to
>network as a DHCP client.  Works fine where it was.
>
>Here at home I have a box running Smoothwall as my firewall and DHCP server.
>Has always worked great with my orignal box that I am using to write this
>email.  However, the "new" computer will get an IP address from the DHCP
>server and I can ping the firewall or load the admin pages for it from the
>"new" box but it cannot resolve internet addresses on the other side of the
>firewall.  No internet access.
>
>What configuration files do I need to look at to get full DHCP/DNS support on
>this box?   What files should I post here to help you guys help me?  I am a
>bit lost because DHCP has always just worked for me, until now.  :^(
>
>Alan

--=====================_273502045==.ALT

Sounds like your new box has the DNS information hard coded instead of
picking it up from the DHCP server... you will need to either set the DNS
to your Smoothwall's IP, or set it to pick up the DNS info from the DHCP
server. What version of Linux is the new box running?<br><br>
<b>---<br>
Brian Tafoya<br>
</i>At 01:35 AM 10/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:<br>
elsewhere to my house here.&nbsp; It is all set to<br>
network as a DHCP client.&nbsp; Works fine where it was.<br><br>
Here at home I have a box running Smoothwall as my firewall and DHCP
server. <br>
Has always worked great with my orignal box that I am using to write
this<br>
email.&nbsp; However, the &quot;new&quot; computer will get an IP address
from the DHCP<br>
server and I can ping the firewall or load the admin pages for it from
the<br>
&quot;new&quot; box but it cannot resolve internet addresses on the other
side of the<br>
firewall.&nbsp; No internet access.<br><br>
What configuration files do I need to look at to get full DHCP/DNS
support on<br>
this box?&nbsp;&nbsp; What files should I post here to help you guys help
me?&nbsp; I am a<br>
bit lost because DHCP has always just worked for me, until now.&nbsp;
:^(<br><br>
Alan<br><br>