New convert and kit idea

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:36:19 -0400

My experience with Knoppix

I am teaching Introduction to Unix/Linux at a Community College.  I
burned 48 (or so) Knoppix CD's and gave them out to the students (I'm
teaching two sections).  The results have not been encouraging.  On the
Dell computers at school, Knoppix prevents the machine from rebooting
unless the machine's power is physically unplugged.  Several student
report problems with the graphics, including one whose PS/2 mouse does
not work, and one whose mouse pointer is about and inch above and to the
left of where the action actually takes place.  Another student could
not get the CD to boot.

It worked well for me, but not for a significant percentage of my
student population.

Regards,

George