GPL Infectiousness

Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:40:34 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Robert Bushman so:

> I missed Michelle's lecture, but the GPL is
> intended to provide Free Software developers
> with an advantage that is unavailable to
> proprietary software developers:
>
> "Proprietary software developers have the advantage of money; free
> software developers need to make advantages for each other. Using the
> ordinary GPL for a library gives free software developers an advantage
> over proprietary developers: a library that they can use, while
> proprietary developers cannot use it.

It doesn't give us an advantage. They can use it as well, but under the
terms of the GPL. I can buy code from Rational Software to use in my
products, but I can only use it under the licensing terms of the purchase.
There's nothing in the GPL preventing anyone from using GPLd code. In fact,
it's explicitly available to anyone.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.