Digital Signing (Beat The Dead Horse) was Re: Free Software form$

Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:34:35 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Craig White so:

> Yeah, I can see it now...a grassroots campaign originated by the linux
> community getting Microsoft to 'fix' their software.

Actually, that's what's happening. Our 'competition' is forcing m$ to fix
things. m$ is more responsive than its ever been. There are claims you can
even get some of its products to go more than a few hours between crashes...

At some point it might even take security seriously. I think m$ is using
that as a point for extortion, though, so I doubt it'll actually be good for
consumers when m$ does something about its security holes.

> I had previously suggested that it was not accidental that the Outlook
> Express MUA handles the 'sign' in this manner. Their Outlook 2000 MUA
> handles them properly.

Yup. Give 'em the first couple of pills for free, then make them dedicate
their lives to making you rich, so they can get their fixes. Keep holding
the fixes off until they have to have them and then make them take a whole
bunch more garbage with the fixes, thereby further entrenching them in their
dependencies...

> I was also the one that tongue in cheek suggested that PLUG should put a
> kill on messages generated by OE. I would (and do) use anything other
> than the 'free' browsers & MUA offered by Microsoft because I don't want
> to get sucked in but that's my decision. If it weren't for Quickbooks, I
> probably wouldn't ever get on my Windows 2000 computer at all and I
> think that next year, my accounting migrates to MyBooks or GNUCash.

I was hoping that was meant in jest :). Sure, we'd like to ban m$ products,
but it's not yet practical.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans