e-mail problem

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
29 Nov 2002 12:18:30 -0700

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 13:07, cliff rogers wrote:
> Craig, I had already stopped the mail server before sending the last post to
> the list. Also I am not  wanting to run a mail server right now because I
> don't need one and I don't know how to keep it secure. Maybe later I will
> but after I learn more about them. I would like to run a web server off this
> box soon though. As far as the messages as to why the e-mails are refused I
> have read most of them as they come through and it is either because the
> address they are being sent to doesn't exist or because the destination host
> or computer detected a virus or possible virus being sent with the e-mail.
> The reason I posted my questions is because I have not had any problems with
> e-mails until I started using my Linux box so I was trying to find out if
> somehow I didn't have it locked down right or it had gotten hacked and was
> being used to send these. I have also disabled the automagical send e-mail
> yesterday in outlook and that did not stop the bad e-mails from being sent
> last night. I am waiting to see if stopping the mail server has stopped them
> but don't feel I can be sure until I give it some time. Anyway, I appreciate
> the response from you and I even took your advice and installed the
> antivirus software so don't think I am not paying attention to what is
> posted. Later, Cliff

----
bugbear virus definitely sends email out to your Outlook/Outlook Express
addressbook - if you have gotten rid of the virus and installed an
anti-virus program, you should have that problem under control.

The thing about mail servers (and I'm not familiar with exim) is that
they keep trying to deliver messages, even undeliverable messages
depending upon the configuration of a mail server. Stopping mail
services on the clarkconnect box will take care of that - as long as all
mail processes have been killed off.

The virus problem may have been coincidental to your setting up the
linux box but more than likely, the smtp server at cox probably just
discarded your emails rather than try to deliver them so you didn't know
that you were infected until you tried to deliver using your own mail
server. But I am not wanting to guess at the origin of your problems
because they are only guesses.

Note that Cox blocks all port 25/80 packets towards their
residential/DHCP clients so it will make it more difficult to run your
own web or mail server.

Craig