e-mail problem

cliff rogers plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:07:52 -0800

Craig, I had already stopped the mail server before sending the last post to
the list. Also I am not  wanting to run a mail server right now because I
don't need one and I don't know how to keep it secure. Maybe later I will
but after I learn more about them. I would like to run a web server off this
box soon though. As far as the messages as to why the e-mails are refused I
have read most of them as they come through and it is either because the
address they are being sent to doesn't exist or because the destination host
or computer detected a virus or possible virus being sent with the e-mail.
The reason I posted my questions is because I have not had any problems with
e-mails until I started using my Linux box so I was trying to find out if
somehow I didn't have it locked down right or it had gotten hacked and was
being used to send these. I have also disabled the automagical send e-mail
yesterday in outlook and that did not stop the bad e-mails from being sent
last night. I am waiting to see if stopping the mail server has stopped them
but don't feel I can be sure until I give it some time. Anyway, I appreciate
the response from you and I even took your advice and installed the
antivirus software so don't think I am not paying attention to what is
posted. Later, Cliff