Weird Incident

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:20:51 -0700

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this before:
I made some changes to a website that uses PHP, and uploaded
the modified files using FTP. Suddenly, the website was no
longer accessible from the remote browser, getting a "permission
denied" error. It turns out a bunch of files and directories in
the document root path had the necessary execute permission bits
turned off. Once I restored the permissions everything worked fine
again. I can't figure out if it was a bug in FTP or some hacker.
It seems to me if a hacker got that level of access to my server
he would have done a lot more damage than that. The logs don't
seem to show anything other than the usual SSL and ASP
exploit attempts. Weird. And scarry.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.