Xwindows Help

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 Nov 2002 10:56:21 -0700

--=-+P9D6jrHrRD10tcOcOyV

Just setup kdm/gdm/xdm to accept remote connections and then on the
local box, runn "startx -query REMOTEBOX :X&".  Replace X with whatever
your at.  I.e. xfree86 starts at :0, then :1, :2 etc.  If :0 is used
then use :1. I use this sort of thing to monitor several boxes.  Also,
and even better, run vnc on those remote boxes so you can keep your
session if you disconnect. I also do this for several boxes.  Just
remeber to export the DISPLAY variable before trying to run vncviewer.
=20
On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 09:56, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Okay I'm trying to advoid having to get new KVM swith. Is it possible to
> have a remote window manager running on a Different desktop / screen?
> Well okay I guess the real question is can I get tht window managers
> running. As long as I'm not running a window manager on my local box I
> can get the remost one to send its display to me. But I have no idea how
> to get it to the local box but on another screen.=20
>=20
> I guess I'm trying something like=20
> gnome -display localbox:1.1
>=20
> But I'm guessing. (and that didn't seem to work).
--=20
Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications