X11 and Nvidia woes

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:43:06 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Voltage Spike on 11/14/2002 18:06 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 05:37 PM, Aaron Cordova wrote:
\_
\_ > I have tried several times to install the Nvidia linux drivers and I
\_ > loose my X server each time. I setup my XFree86Config-4 just as Nvidia
\_ > suggests. I have tried many other methods from other mailing lists but
\_ > I allways loose the X server. I am Using Mandrake 9.0 Dolphin, I have
\_ > a Geforce 4 Ti4200. The default driver is fbdev. Can anyone help or
\_ > point me to yet another article???
\_
\_ You should have a file called "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".  Attach that
\_ file to a message and send it to us.  In that way, we should get an
\_ extremely good indication of what is happening.

Also, if the module is properly installed, you should get smoething like

% lsmod | egrep NV
NVdriver             1149024  20 (autoclean)

when you ask.  If you don't, that's a sure sign that something didn't
happen right.  Let us know that too.  :-)

You have both the NVIDIA_GLX and the NVIDIA_kernel packages, right?

David