RH 8.0 woes

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:13:20 -0700 (MST)

Am 12. Nov, 2002 schw=E4tzte Lynn David Newton so:

>   Vaughn> I tend to agree with this philosophy. I
>   Vaughn> upgraded my notebook from RH 7.1 to 7.3, and
>   Vaughn> it was pretty hosed. I wiped the partition
>   Vaughn> and did it as a new install (I'd ghosted the
>   Vaughn> original) and it worked much better.
>
> That approach strikes me as being much like buying a
> new house and moving into it rather than facing spring
> cleaning every year.
>
> Whenever I build a system from scratch it takes me a
> good week of my life to get all the stuff I use
> installed and configured and working the way I want. It
> was fun when computers were an obsessive hobby. Today I
> can no longer afford to disable and play with my
> computer for days at a time. It's like my automobile.
> It's gotta work well, and it's gotta work now.

Then you need to start using debian. Back when we were at Mot Matt got me
to use debian. That was 1999. Since then I've just done updates[0]. For the
latest bleeding edge it can take some knowledge of the dark arts of debian,
but I know it won't take you much to figure them out.

debian is stable.
debian upgrades work.
debian is stable.

Not trying to start a distro war, but debian's dependency checking just
rocks ( I do see occasional errors in testing ) and debian's conf file
policy of not mucking with local changes is very strongly enforced.

Other distros are supposed to be doing the same stuff. RH is one of them.
None have as much experience with good updates as debian does.

ciao,

der.hans

[0] There was one reinstall where the hard drive on my laptop went south.
Two desktops had disks going bad. I actually used the one ( work wouldn't
get me a new hard drive ) losing sectors for a month before copying
everything to a new drive and continueing to use the old install.

--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans