RH 8.0 woes

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:49:29 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Lynn David Newton on 11/11/2002 13:38 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ o I'm apparently no longer running sawfish, but
\_   something else, which I now know to be something
\_   called metacity. I didn't realize that would be the
\_   case before I started. I'd assumed that GNOME and
\_   sawfish would be forever linked.

Gnome has done bad things to sawfish, but 1.2 shows some promise.
Presumably you can switch back to it.

\_ o GnomeICU (ICQ), which I use daily in work, fails with
\_   a missing library error. Apparently there is no
\_   workaround. (I telecommute for a company in Oregon.)
\_   My boss is not pleased. He wants me to use Trillian,
\_   but that runs only on Windows. I explained to him
\_   that an instant messaging utility that runs only on a
\_   virtual machine running in a window in the remotest
\_   corner of my multiple workspace desktop is the same
\_   as having no IM, and that email would be faster.

Fire up a jabber server and the icq transport.  Works for me and lets
me talk jabber/icq/msn seemlessly.  Also has support for aol's thingy
too.

\_ o I can't start mysql. Still true. Don't know why.

See /var/lib/mysql/host.err.  It should be helpful.  If you don't have
mysql built rpms, you could be sol.  RH is fingering non compliant C++
code, mysql is pointing at bad gcc/libs, ....  Welcome to hell.

\_ This is the kind of system upheaval that if I'd know it
\_ would be this disruptive I would have considered going
\_ to a whole new distro, like maybe Debian. I don't mind
\_ different, but different has got to be better.
\_ Otherwise, what's the point?

In sum, welcome to the fabled .0 RH release syndrome.

:-)

David