RH 8.0 woes

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:43:52 -0700

At 11:31 AM 11/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Wow, after reading the last thread I'm really glad I didn't install my copy
>of RH8.0 yet. I was saving it for a weekend when I felt like tinkering, but
>I NEVER feel like tinkering THAT much. No one seems to challenge the notion
>that RH does a half-@$$ job on x.0 releases, and I find that very
>disturbing. After paying $140+ for "free" software, I expect to get
>something for my money that's not available if I download the truly free
>versions. The only reason for paying is the assumption that RH does due
>diligence to see that the included packages work properly and are complete.
>I tend to assume that x.0 releases are "major" releases, a culmination of a
>larger effort than a minor release. It sounds like RedHat's philosophy is
>bass-ackwards. Looks to me like the most economical thing for me to do at
>this point is toss that expensive gray box in the trash. My time is worth
>more than the $$ lost gambling on RedHat's integrity.
>--
>Phil Mattison
>Ohmikron Corp.
>480-722-9595
>602-820-9452 Mobile

If you are going to throw it out anyway, give it to me.  I can use it as
swag for one of the meetings.  ;^)

BTW, I moved from RH7.3 to 8.0 (I say moved because I reformatted to start
clean, not updated) with very few issues.  A couple of utilities were gone
but for the first time it automatically found my network card with a driver
that worked the first time out.  Any other issues I have are with the
transition from Kmail to Evolution, but that is not a RH problem.

To sum up my experience with x.0 releases: YMMV.  Most of my mileage has
been good.

Alan