Q3 problem

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Nov 2002 11:29:57 -0700

make sure you have the latest Radeon drivers.  I havn't used them in a
long time but I do remember them being a little flaky at first but
stablized after a while.  If you can still ssh into the box than it is
most likely going to be an X or GL issue.

It is really hard to say what the problem would be but my first guess
would be the video card.  Try some other openGL games like RtCW or
UT2003 and see how they do.

Bill

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 09:41, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 09:15, foodog wrote:
> > This isn't a high priority, but it bugs me.
> > I have RH 8.0 loaded on a P4 1.6 with a Radeon 7500 and 512MB RAM,
> using
> > KDE.  It'll start, usually with sound, and run great for about 1
> minute
> > - then the display locks up so badly I have to reboot to recover.
> > It initially complained that it wanted libGL.so, which is nowhere to
> be
> > found.  I made a link to libGL.so.1 and also tried libGL.so.1.2,
> either
> > of which seem to appease it.  I can still ssh in when it locks up, but
> > haven't found anything short of a reboot that'll bring the video and
> > keyboard back.
> > Any suggestions on how to debug this?  The box doesn't have problems
> > with any other apps that I've noticed.
> > A couple of things I've tried from the Linux Gamers FAQ are starting
> it
> > with the commandline for no sound, and I made sure that KDE wasn't
> using
> > antialiased fonts.
> > Any suggestions appreciated, thanks :-)
> -----
> hard to suggest stuff because I have a feeling that anything that I
> would suggest - you've already tried but...
>
> does the lockup occur in gnome?
>
> was this an upgrade over 7.3 - if so, did you try mv ~/.kde ~/.kde/bak
> so it recreates kde settings - how about if you create another user and
> log on as that user.
>
> how about trying redhat-config-xfree86
> or if it's sound related...
> /sbin/sndconfig
>
> Craig
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head.