Q3 problem

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Nov 2002 09:41:30 -0700

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 09:15, foodog wrote:
> This isn't a high priority, but it bugs me.
> I have RH 8.0 loaded on a P4 1.6 with a Radeon 7500 and 512MB RAM, using
> KDE.  It'll start, usually with sound, and run great for about 1 minute
> - then the display locks up so badly I have to reboot to recover.
> It initially complained that it wanted libGL.so, which is nowhere to be
> found.  I made a link to libGL.so.1 and also tried libGL.so.1.2, either
> of which seem to appease it.  I can still ssh in when it locks up, but I
> haven't found anything short of a reboot that'll bring the video and
> keyboard back.
> Any suggestions on how to debug this?  The box doesn't have problems
> with any other apps that I've noticed.
> A couple of things I've tried from the Linux Gamers FAQ are starting it
> with the commandline for no sound, and I made sure that KDE wasn't using
> antialiased fonts.
> Any suggestions appreciated, thanks :-)
-----
hard to suggest stuff because I have a feeling that anything that I
would suggest - you've already tried but...

does the lockup occur in gnome?

was this an upgrade over 7.3 - if so, did you try mv ~/.kde ~/.kde/bak
so it recreates kde settings - how about if you create another user and
log on as that user.

how about trying redhat-config-xfree86
or if it's sound related...
/sbin/sndconfig