possible topic for future plug meeting

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 31 May 2002 14:08:27 -0500

I know this may seem a bit off topic to some folks,
but I think it can provide valuable info to others:

Many of us use Apache/PHP|Perl/Mysql|PostGreSQL quite often;
I would think a class on how to properly design databases
might be in order.

In addition to creating tables, assigning proper datatypes
to columns, etc, I think some time should also be spent
on the relational aspect of these databases.

More often than not, I work on a database that has some really
slick PHP|Perl interfacing the database, but the db itself is crap.
No relationships, VARCHAR(255)'s for all the columns, no keys, etc, etc.
Good database design is a must if one is to ever modify or expand
on the project.

Personally, I am self taught; however I do know a good one
from a bad one. Certainly there should be some folks out in the
group that are qualifed to speak on this one day?

v/r
Mike