Transmitting screen shots for legal records

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 May 2002 19:59:38 -0400

I need your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

We (Big Corporation I work for) are about to launch a web project to replace a
paper form.  The regulations (or practice) in the Company is to image everything
that comes in from the members, and to store electronic images of everything
that
goes out to the members.  This gives the Customer Service Reps the ability to
recall everything that was ever sent to or received from a member
instantaneously.

To replace this paper document that a person must sign once per year and mail
in, the Business wants to webify the form, let the member click on the proper
boxes, and submit the form.  Since the member had to authenticate to the system
to get to the form, we know who "electronically" signed it when they submitted
it.
In keeping with the previous paragraph of imaging everything the member sends
us,
the Business is proposing to capture the members computer screen in a screenshot
using a java applet, and transmitting that over the Internet to our servers,
where
it will be stored in lieu of the paper form.  "That way, we know exactly what
the
member saw."

What are your thoughts?

George