What are some practical applications for Perl?

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 17:34:10 -0500

And I thought "I" was the one noted for speaking my mind.
I assume I am in good company :-)

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:20:29PM +0700, Bill Nash wrote:
 On Tue, 21 May 2002, Nick Estes wrote:

 > learn Ruby.

 I don't deny that Ruby may be a good alternative, but that's surely the
 worst possible recommendation one could muster. Not so much that you
 suggest Ruby, but that you do it without any quantification of *why* Ruby
 is a good alternative to Perl. You may as well slap an orange from a
 child's hand and tell him to play with fire instead, without explanation.

 - billn